This is a quick post about me cycling from St Petersburg to Orlando Florida with my son, Seth. I provide details that include my route map, costs and photos purely for motivational purposes. This is a self-guided adventure on a shoestring. Follow the links to dig deeper into the adventure.
No plan and little gear. It was our motto. I’d convinced (or coerced) Seth that it would be fun to cycle to Orlando and hang out with my good friend RJ. So we threw together some gear, two junk bikes and then set out. This is back in 2002, a few years before Google Maps and the simplicity of data plans.
Day 1-St Pete to Hwy 52 (65.6 miles)
- St Pete. W on 38 Ave from 16th St. to Pinellas Trial.
- N on Trail to trail end in downtown Tarpon Springs.
- Tarpon Springs #582 (bad road) E to #77 McMullen Booth.
- N to Spring Hill, E to Pasco CR#1, then N to #54 for lunch.
- E on 54 to new Suncoast Parkway Trail (#589).
- N on #589 to #52. Exited to CR for open field campsite.
Day 2 Ride – to Withlacoochee State Park
- SR#52 N to #50 then E through Brooksville.
- Continue E on #50 to Withlacoochee State Park.
- Camp on game trail. (49.7 miles)
Day 3 – Withlacooche State Park to Orlando
East on #50 to RJ’s in Orlando (51.9 miles)
Total Cost Range of this Activity is: $
Costs for accommodation was $0 since we free camped on the way and then stayed at RJ’s for free. The only cost was food which was not worth mentioning.